HTML/JavaScript

Image Map

Monday, July 13, 2015

Periscope

Have you heard of the new Periscope craze? It is hitting the ground running and getting attention from around the world! I first heard about it through Instagram from teacher friends. Periscope is an app in both the App Store and the Play Store. It links from your Twitter account. You can watch live streams on your computer if you find a link from a twitter post (you can't watch directly from the Periscope site).


Yesterday I watched the sunrise in Miami, church clips from three different states, waves rolling on the shores of California, the sunset in Australia, and several teachers chatting about many different things! Just this morning I have walked the streets of New York, swam in Puerto Rico, watched others swim in Lake Placid (I've seen that movie - I'm not swimming there!), driven down a country lane in Europe, got stuck in traffic while listening to the radio in Moscow, and ended up in too many bedrooms. 

The premise of Periscope is to explore the world through someone else's eyes. It is a lot of fun seeing life happening anywhere around the world. 

Lucky Little Learners streamed this morning and posted about a blog with 25 Periscope tips. I joined her stream too late to comment (she filled up really fast!), but I did enjoy watching it and following along on her blog. She has wonderful tips on kicking your Periscopes up a notch. I posted my first Periscope last night, and it didn't go well - but I look forward to implementing her tips and trying again soon!

Will I be using it in my classroom? -No.

Periscope is a wonderful experience, but it is a live experience. There are too many things that could go wrong (inappropriate comments or images) to display or "let students loose with" periscope in the classroom. There are also many student privacy rights that must be considered if you display your classroom on periscope.

I've heard several other teachers discuss working closely with another classroom/person to do private periscopes. I use Skype for this, and I don't see any reason to fix what isn't broken. 

Are you using Periscope? Who is your favorite person to follow on Periscope? Post your Periscope name below! Follow me at @ReevesintheMiddle.

No comments:

Post a Comment