HTML/JavaScript

Image Map

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Passion Projects, Genius Hour, 20 Time - Whatever You Call It - Part 1


Whoa - I can't say I have ever had a lesson go as beautifully as it did today. Today was one of those Holy Grail of teaching days. The class is a beautiful hub of learning, excitement, and engagement. My 8th graders, after days and days of state testing, were no longer brain dead maniacs - they were participating and ready to learn! If you haven't tried Genius Hour (or whichever name you want to give it), it's high time you get started!

What is Genius Hour? 20 Time? Passion Projects? This is the video I showed my students to introduce the unit:




This unit, as explained in this video, is giving students 20% (hence the name 20 Time) of their class time to research something they are passionate (hence the name Passion Projects) about and become geniuses (hence the name Genius Hour) on that topic.

For the sake of our classes (I'm working with a fellow 8th grade ELA teacher on this unit) we're calling is Genius Hour. Instead of giving my students 20% of our class time, I'm giving them a little under 20% of the school year at one time. We've learned how to write, read, analyze, paraphrase, summarize, cite, infer, discuss, collaborate, and so on and so forth - but did they really get it? Can they really do all of those things at once without my guidance? We are about to find out! These last few weeks of school my classroom will be completely flipped! The students pick their topics, their research methods, their collaboration techniques, and their end product. It's their turn to teach me! We are oh-so excited about it too!

My goal is to post blogs each week from now through the end of the unit. We're going to fail. We're going to mess up. 
We're going to learn!

We kicked off the unit today by going over the basic requirements and the general rubric. I introduced deadlines and gave very specific consequences for not being activity involved in Genius Hour (independent book studies of the nonfiction books of my choice). Then we got to the fun part!

To help students get their creative juicing flowing, I set up 
s!
I had 11 different stations set up around the room where students could get a small peak of hands on experience in different areas. Examples:

  1. Bubbles: What types of soaps make the best bubbles? Use the water and soaps at this station (foaming hand soap, dish soap, laundry soap, and shampoo) to create your own bubble formula. What worked? What didn't work?
  2. Cooking: Taste the two types of chocolate at this station (one was unsweetened baker's chocolate and the other was semisweet morsels - this station was so funny!). Use many, varied, unusual words to describe the taste of each chocolate. How do you think each chocolate it used in cooking? What could you cook with each chocolate?
  3. Calligraphy: Watch the instructional video on calligraphy and practice writing your name following the instructions using the calligraphy pens at this station. Was it as easy as the video showed it to be? What proved to be most difficult for you?
Using their sense to decide what type of plant this was (mint).

Practicing origami.

Analyzing different types of rocks and deciding what natural events could have shaped them.

Practicing drawing.

Working on photography and changes in F-Stop and ISO.

Comparing/Contrasting a fleece blanket with a crochet blanket. Could you crochet?

Make your own bubbles!
They were moving. They were talking. They were working. They were thinking! We debriefed at the end of class, and I was blown away at project ideas these students already have.

Tomorrow we have a wonderful Guest Speaker coming to teach the students how to write their own Essential/Guiding questions as they begin narrowing down their project topic.



In my next post, I will include the rubric, full list of Inspiration Stations (I left that file on my school computer desktop and not dropbox), and the parent letter.


No comments:

Post a Comment